Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Vacation?

I've handed in grades for the last of my summer intensives and mean to take a few days off before I begin prep for Fall in earnest. My father (from whom I have been long estranged as he Fox Newsified in his retirement during the W. years and from whom I was then even more resolutely estranged when he succumbed rather tragically and utterly shockingly to rapid early onset Alzheimer's a few year's back) has had a serious and possibly mortal fall in his treatment facility back in Atlanta and I am much preoccupied with questions of the frailty of our bodies and our bonds with one another at the moment. Students are complaining of B+s in the usual manner as all this is going on, which feels a bit comically surreal as usual, but who knows what pressures the latest highly put-upon generation must be feeling beneath their mountains of debt and with so few prospects left by the ravages of the psychotic Boomers and undereffectual (largely coming down to a matter of inadequate numbers of us, I fear, as simple as that) GenXers like me. The endlessly revolting and stupid and ugly crimes and treasons of Trumpublicans continue on as we rail, and teach, and march, and simply wait out these few months ahead to see whether or not our fellow-citizens will turn the tide in November, as we're biding our time pretending we have time to bide as the land burns and the seas poison and the skies choke with soot as the diversifying secularizing rising generation gathers its rage and its love to build a diverse, equitable, sustainable democratic polity from the ruins of the cruel scared greedhead bigots of the straight white right. I'm feeling a bit better these days, sleeping better, still comparatively fit, less depressed and panicked, but, man, man, oh man, the shit sandwich that is the present world is doing my sanity no favors at all...

No comments: