Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Sunday Walk

Late summer the Morcome Amphitheatre of Roses gets a second wind, and the beds bloom with fragrant vibrant roses second only to the miraculous frenzies of early spring -- today more than twenty folks, mostly older couples, but a pretty diverse lot all told, shared the sunlight space with us this afternoon. That's rare, usually the Rose Garden feels like it's ours alone, Eric and I settle on some private perch here or there near the fan of back garden beds, or near the long waterfall, or past the potted colonnade, or near the redwood glade, and feel we have the place more or less to ourselves. Today, the fountains conversed with the bell-like laughter of kids. A lovely afternoon. It's vacation time for me, my syllabi pruned and polished for fall (I posted them to the blog already this week for those who are interested), my grades for the summer all in, various events and orientations and meetings already gathering steam for the new term. This time next week I'll be a-flutter with stage fright on the verge of two opening lectures, but for now I can breathe easy... We have had our long walk and brunch at our favorite cafe on Piedmont Avenue. I plan to play with the cat, put a jigsaw puzzle together, read Mary Beard on the Roman Triumph, then get high tonight with Eric and Dr. Who. Perfectly lovely.  

No comments: