Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Censure

Congress is fully within its rights to censure President Obama for failing to authorize continued operations in Libya. I wouldn't be the least bit unhappy to see that happen, disliking as I do the Imperial Presidency even if that hasn't been my first priority among the catastrophically many catastrophe plates we have spinning on poles at the moment. I do think it is not unreasonable to suspect that Obama the Constitutional scholar might be properly chastened by such a development -- as no doubt that premature Nobel likely made him feel warm and fuzzy back in the day -- which is all to the good... And I think neither is it unreasonable to suspect that Obama's ambivalent base and the dirt-dumb flibbertigibbet "Independents" might be moved by the spectacle of Censure to contemplate Congressional hypocrisies and shenanigan stunts in ways that would bolster Obama's re-election still more, which is also all to the good, all things considered. I expect a back-door resolution of unasked for support for the Libya mission will be forthcoming in any case in some form or other. I for one loudly disapproved of going into Libya on my shitty blog in the first place, you may recall, but whatevs.

No comments: