Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Teaching Day

A beautiful turn in the weather yesterday commuting into the City to lecture about Guy Debord and Naomi Klein and Hannah Arendt. The worst thing about these last couple of years in the rather demoralized and depressed aftermath of the one-two punch of 2016 and my health crisis and the Trumpist crisis is that it can be hard to be interested and hence interesting about theory at a time when so much theory feels trivial or rationalizing. My students help me connect back to the time when theory was a vital space of self-creation in which I came into my queerness as well as (and of a piece with) coming into a wider awareness and understanding of the world's complexity, distress, and possibility. Teaching is pretty hard for me these days. My depression and anxiety make leaving the apartment pretty hard for me these days, frankly. But in the teaching itself, however hard, I find the only resources (well that and Eric's love, Penny's shenanigans, and hundreds of episodes of Doctor Who) out of which I am pulling myself, little by little, out of this long exhausting despondent night...

No comments: