Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Grumpy Gus

Cold and flu season has seemed particularly awful this time around. Has that been your experience as well? It seems as if Eric and I have been ping-ponging stuffy noses back and forth practically since Thanksgiving, and I had an awful bug earlier this year that actually caused me to cancel a couple of classes (I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate losing teaching time), but to add insult to injury I got hit with another bug nearly as bad a week ago and if my teaching load hadn't been halved by Spring Break at my two institutions I think I might have had to cancel a class again. I've essentially been sleeping for days in a soup of Nyquil and Theraflu and blue pills, like a squid blundering around in a sea of ink. I feel I could sleep again all day today, but I've got theses to read for my MA cohort in the City and lectures to prep for Cal even if my head's spinning. It definitely seems more of my students have e-mailed in sick this year than usual, but it may be my bug-addled imagination. Classrooms full of sneezing students are like petri dishes anyway, not to mention the mobbed buses and traincars I take between teaching gigs in Berkeley and the City. End of term is something of a trial under the best of circumstances, and this time around I've got four courses spinning like saucers on top of poles here -- here's hoping the season of sick of behind us soon enough to pull off the finale.

No comments: