Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Friday, January 22, 2021

Back to School

As you see, I'm teaching once more at SFAI this Spring. To say the school's circumstances are precarious is an understatement. The story is widely circulating by now, but if you are unaware and interested you can find accounts in the New York Times, the LA Times, Artforum, Hyperallergic.

The Committee to Re-Imagine SFAI recently completed an assessment of every aspect of the school in its present distress. The recommendations of especially the subcommittee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion seem to me to be the foundation for the school going forward into the twenty-first century, if it is to manage that feat at all. I was also really excited to hear visions of the school as a center for work in art and environmental justice. 

It's hard to connect such visions to the realities of the day. It's hard to know what is coming next. For now, I've got a job again, teaching a handful of bright beautiful students excited to talk about art practices as testaments to violence and as practices of nonviolent resistance. If only it lasts. 

1 comment:

jollyspaniard said...

Good fortune to you sir. A lot of us are in a precarious state. I probably won't lose my job in the next six months and consider myself vaguely lucky.