Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Saturday, November 07, 2020

Brand New Day

Tomorrow I'll remember Biden was close to my least favorite candidate, tomorrow I'll remember how our indispensable efforts to slow climate catastrophe and right-wing violence and feudal exploitation will die in the Republican controlled Senate, tomorrow I'll remember I'm unemployed with few prospects in a world seething in plague, tomorrow I'll remember how many millions of people who look like me fought for a white-supremacist anti-queer authoritarian regime to gain power, but today I feel great relief, and even a little joy, a last-ditch reprieve and soul-restoration before the next battles... Maybe this long low five year season of losses, in which my health, my cat, my Dad, my Mom, and my school all died as the prospect of decency and sense in my country were dying, too, day by day by day, one after the other, and my voice with them, maybe this long desolation begins its ending today, maybe I can find I still have something to do with myself and say for myself in the world in the days to come...

2 comments:

Step said...

I learned "we never know enough to despair" from your blog, and I have thought about that on probably a weekly basis for the last several years.

Here's hoping.

daniel said...

Dale I was once a very poor student of yours. Occasionally for one reason or another I am reminded of your brilliance and warmth and generosity. Just listening to you speak was a treat.

Life will always throw things at us. But I do very much hope that this period of desolation is indeed on its way out.