Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Friday, April 03, 2020

Prepping (Ugh)

I find that teaching online is twice as hard and half as effective as teaching in the usual way. While others report their lives are shifting onto a weird quasi-vacation footing, the teachers I talk to are finding instead that everything takes forever and everybody wants a piece of the action and we're constantly utterly swamped in demand. I just finished a final MA thesis review, and went right away to recording a couple hours' lectures for next week's podcast, and now I'm corresponding individually with a dozen students working on paper projects and dealing with truly daunting emotional and logistical demands of their own for which all I want is to be of help... But there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I need to do anymore. And, then, after all this effort is expended, my reward is to be... unemployment, as the school is now closing and we're all facing layoffs in May. It's all a bit demoralizing. Ugh.

No comments: