Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Reading Is Fundamental

My spring "break" continues apace amidst Miss Rona's ongoing rampage. Reading and editing a thesis draft from one of my MA students today. Also trying to figure out how to host recordings of my lectures for students once classes "resume" remotely week after next. Even so, I've had more time on my hands and I've spent lots of it soaking in a hot bathtub with a book much as I did as a kid back in Indiana hiding out from the brutalizing bullyboy world reading Dune, Amber, Mary Stewart's Arthur books, LOTR over and over again in the tub. After I finished Odell's lovely How To Do Nothing, I read Judith Butler's latest, The Force of Nonviolence, which wasn't exactly provocative but was quite wise and rather moving to read. I felt proud of Butler's effort in the book, and reading her I always feel happy and heartened and so lucky to have known her so well and learned from her so long. After that, I pretty much swallowed up Atwood's Penelopiad in a single gulp. Now I'm enjoying very much Peter Wohlleben's The Hidden Life of Trees, which makes an especially nice complement to Powers' The Overstory which I read over the holiday break a few months back.

No comments: