Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Teaching This Week

Finishing Arendt and moving on to Fanon (with whom Arendt was in conversation) and then talking about Laura Mulvey and Kobena Mercer (on Mapplethorpe) in connection to Fanon. Probably I'll end up talking Mulvey and Mercer next week, I've tended to lag about thirty to forty-five minutes behind my lecture notes when it comes to it. In Queer Manifestations on Wednesday we're turning to Eve Sedgwick, Jaspir Puar (reactionary homonationalism and racist homonormativity), and Alison Kafer (from Feminist, Queer, Crip). I'm running behind on the syllabus in that class too, but with all the discussion and presentations it's a bit like a rolling bacchanal-slash-conference all the time in there, the scheduled topics bleed rather promiscuously into one another. I can scarcely credit it, but we're just a month out from end of term now, and the syllabus bristles with workshops and symposia, lecturing (with all its attendant performance anxiety) is soon giving way to students presenting their work for one another. That will be a relief for me.

No comments: