Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, May 05, 2019

Gack! Redux

Looks like Eric's caught the bug that tormented me the long week through, and from which I am now gratefully recovering at long last, so Sunday's brunch and walk are canceled -- more's the pity, this Sunday looks to be a breezing buzzing confusion of lively wide-eyed blooms and gyring leaf-stuffed branches. Prepping last week's lectures, both likely to be truncated to the relief of my students, saucer-eyed from all-nighters and scarcely receptive to my usual three-hour firehosing of high theory. For my undergraduates Monday afternoon I mean to reprise themes from last Friday's lecture on Combahee, Lorde, and Donna Haraway with a little genuflection to environmental justice at the end. Friday's grad seminar at week's end will culminate with Judith Butler and Gayatri Spivak, more or less as I have done for six years or so now. That's a lecture that could use some pruning and polishing by now, and I'll probably tinker with it over the week before Friday. Final papers and notebooks and late assignments all begin avalanching into my world tomorrow and the start-up date for summer intensives at Berkeley gives me a narrow window between completion of grades and resumption of teaching, so it's looking like no rest for the weary, at least until I hang up my hat after June and manage a delirious six weeks' restorative summer vacation! As you see, I'm already counting the days.

No comments: