Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Monday, June 11, 2018

This Week's Teaching

This week is going to be a bit strange for a summer intensive. Tomorrow will be given over to administering the mid-term exam. Wednesday we're screening and discussing a film, Cronenberg's A History of Violence (which feels different watching it post-Ferguson than simply understood as a post-9/11 film), then Thursday I've got an in-class debate scheduled -- lots of stuff for them to do, but it feels a bit less hands-on for me. I have lots of things to say about the movie and about Nietzsche (some leftover observations from last Thursday's lecture) and about the history of non-violent resistance evoked by texts I've assigned for the week by Tolstoy, Gandhi, and Jane Addams, but it may be that this week is less about me performing as a lecturer and more about me facilitating their learning-together... I admit I have mixed feelings about this sort of thing, but I doubt my students will, they tend to love doing in-class stuff and tho' it drives me a bit crazy to relinquish control and stop bloviating for three hours straight every time I get in front of a group of students I can't help but notice the learning or at any rate the energy that happens in this mode...  

No comments: