Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Monday, February 27, 2017

Reading...

Should be prepping for my lecture tomorrow in "For Futurity" but a search through Jameson's Archaeologies of the Future to confirm a point I was going to make has turned into an all-day re-immersion in that book about a decade after I read it last. I appreciate the book a lot, and it seems to muck around with the very associations -- between satire, utopia, modernity, reduction, construction, revolution, administration, reform, sub-culture -- we're teasing at in the class, and which I spend so much of my time teasing at more generally. It's not that I hate the book or anything, or even know how I would frame my critique yet, but I can't shake the feeling that I have disagreements with Jameson's take at a level that would help me clarify the anti-futurological (or maybe anti-marketing) critique I have been engaged in for years now. Can't put my finger on it yet...

No comments: