Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Monday, March 05, 2012

Deep Thoughts from a Beautiful Mind

It would seem that former first lady Barbara Bush is not edified by the 2012 GOP presidential campaign. "I think it's been the worst campaign I've ever seen in my life..." she is reported to have said, "I think the rest of the world is looking at us these days and saying, 'What are you doing?'" I hate to break it to her, but the rest of the world said the same every single day her son was in office as well, as did every one of her fellow citizens, at least the ones with a heart, or a brain, or a conscience. I don't know what she is bellyaching about anyway, when I observe the hypercompetent party and campaign machinery, the elegantly modulated rhetoric of the candidates pitched to the complex diversity of domestic and foreign stakeholders, the consummate grasp of economic, science, and foreign policy questions all in so spectacularly in evidence in today's GOP I cannot help but think "this is working very well for them."

No comments: