Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Monday, October 10, 2011

From a Former Student

D******P**** here. SFAI class of '08. We could use your help. Could you please link to our FB, Twitter, and Website? We're just getting started here (9 days in) and have hunched down to get a lot of work done. So please excuse our disorganization for now.

WEB: www.occupylosangeles.org
Twitter: @occupyla
FB: http://www.facebook.com/occupyLA
(also, if you're on FB, add me under my real name!)

Listed below is a link to a forum I've created on www.occupylosangeles.org, our official website. It's called "Language in and around Occupy Los Angeles" and I've posted a very, very brief reading list. If you have the time I would LOVE to see you expand it and to hear your voice engaged there. I'm nervous about some of the rhetoric being casually tossed around down here and in the Wall Street faction and I agree with your comments on Obama's Job's Act competing for attention with OWS. While OWS is decidedly not associated with any political party, it is important to congratulate and support them when they do, somehow and against all odds, attempt to do something the right way.

Language in and around Occupy Los Angeles: http://occupylosangeles.org/?q=node/456#comment-1284

Also, I would love to propose some classes to the OLA General Assembly around the issues of language, rhetoric and critical thinking skills. I do not feel I'm anywhere near qualified to teach but recognize the need for it now before it grows as it eventually will. Do you have any contact in Los Angeles that might voice solidarity with this movement and be able to lead discussions around any/all of the topics mentioned above (or any topic you might think important in this context)? I would love to make contact with them if so!

No comments: