Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Al Sharpton Gets A Long Shot on MSNBC

NYT:
After giving a nearly six-month tryout for the Internet talk show host Cenk Uygur, the cable news channel MSNBC is preparing to instead hand its 6 p.m. time slot to the Rev. Al Sharpton.
You know, I can't say that I'm any kind of fan of Cenk Uygur, but I'm a bit amazed that Al Sharpton has been given his afternoon slot. I am happy to see MSNBC reflecting reality a bit more by adding an African-American pundit-hosted program to its lineup, but I've got to say I'd be much happier if they gave it to somebody whose schtick wasn't quite so tired. Melissa Harris Perry, anyone? Eugene Robinson? Dave Zirin? Aisha Tyler? I can effortlessly imagine the fresh perspectives and fabulous television these and dozens of other more original more current more media-ready personalities would bring to MSNBC's programming. Can you imagine the joyous mayhem that, say, Frangela would deliver to the world? Reverend Al definitely has his moments, but this decision really surprises and rather disappoints me, I must say.

No comments: