Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Special Problems in Post-Bush America

Matthew Filipowicz wonders:
Now I'm not a lawyer, nor am I currently wanted for any crimes (as far as I know). But, just the idea that my case or the case of someone I care about could be tried in front of [torture-memo author and now federal judge with a lifetime appointment Jay] Bybee scares the crap out of me. Would I be able to ask the judge to recuse himself because he's a war criminal? Would he [c]ite, as legal precedent, episodes of 24? Imagine having to call a man who thinks it's legal to slam your head into the wall, to lock you in a tiny confinement box with bugs crawling all over you... imagine having to call that man "Your Honor".

No comments: