Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hillary Clinton Can Kiss My Hippy Faggot Ass (Updated)

I'm flabbergasted by the things coming out of Senator Clinton's campaign today. Dig this one-two punch of tin-eared immoralism, first a call for an indefinite occupation in Iraq (in 2007?), then a cowardly punt on the question whether homosexuality is "immoral" (in 2007?):

[via The New York Times]
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton foresees a "remaining military as well as political mission" in Iraq, and says that if elected president, she would keep a reduced military force there to fight Al Qaeda, deter Iranian aggression, protect the Kurds and possibly support the Iraqi military... She said in the interview that there were "remaining vital national security interests in Iraq" that would require a continuing deployment of American troops.


[via ABC News]
I [Jake Tapper, ABC News Senior National Correspondent] also asked [Hilary Clinton] about the comments by General Peter Pace that homosexulity is "immoral."

"Well I'm going to leave that to others to conclude," she said. "I'm very proud of the gays and lesbians I know who perform work that is essential to our country, who want to serve their country and I want make sure they can."

I'm going to leave that to others to conclude? Somebody needs to pink their triangulation, like, um, yesterday.

Update:

[via AmericaBlog] To her credit, Clinton speedily and appropriately issued the following corrective statement:
"Well I've heard from a number of my friends and I've certainly clarified with them any misunderstanding that anyone had, because I disagree with General Pace completely. I do not think homosexuality is immoral. But the point I was trying to make is that this policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell is not working. I have been against it for many years because I think it does a grave injustice to patriotic Americans who want to serve their country. And so I have called for its repeal and I'd like to follow the lead of our allies like, Great Britain and Israel and let people who wish to serve their country be able to join and do so. And then let the uniform code of military justice determine if conduct is inappropriate or unbecoming. That's fine. That's what we do with everybody. But let's not be eliminating people because of who they are or who they love."

Key for me in this statement are the words: "I've heard from a number of..." Backchannel critics of my harsh words yesterday, please make a note of it. Don't expect chocolate if you settle for shit.

No comments: