Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Savaging Straights-Only Marriage

[via PlanetOut] "I said: 'I'm a gay man. Amy and I don't live together, we don't love each other, we don't want to have babies, I have a partner at home and a kid, can Amy and I get a marriage license even though you know it's a sham, a joke and we are not serious about each other?' The clerk said, 'Yes, of course, because you are a man and a woman.' The sanctity of marriage is all about a matched set of genitals. ... We are going to try and stay married for about 55 hours and 10 minutes. We are going to just best Britney Spears."

-- Syndicated gay columnist Dan Savage, editor of the Seattle alternative weekly The Stranger, following his April 9 marriage to lesbian Stranger reporter Amy Jennigs, to KLEW-TV.

No comments: