Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, November 15, 2015



Lorraine said...

What's your gripe with the P2P movement? They seem to me to be the good guys. Am I missing something?

Dale Carrico said...

p2p advocates can be the good guys -- BUT they seem to me too prone to celebrations of shar(cropp)ing economy, unless there is an explicit and repeated advocacy for social support of content provision -- public/basic income, healthcare, education, accountable collective administration of public goods, equal recourse to accountable law/rights -- the discourse too readily facilitates reactionary digi-utopian politics... All this not least because of under-interrogated connections between p2p conjoined with e2e principle buttressing negative liberty as a widely disseminated/hegemonic right-wing figure underwriting naturalization of elite-incumbent policies, arguments, intuitions. *However*, a fellow can hope -- like you p2p seems to me available for emancipatory politics. I just think vigilance is necessary and I think a whole hell of a lot of the p2p usual suspects aren't showing as much awareness of this as they should -- if any, frankly -- which makes me despair of the real potential of that more emancipatory p2p discourse as a matter of history rather than logical possibility. Long story short, I know, but that's some of it.

Dale Carrico said...

Also, I gripe a lot. On the internets, I'm grumpy.