Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Back to School

I've been responding to comments this morning when I should have been prepping lecture, but I find it hard to resist engaged conversation (even with detractors). In my classical rhetoric summer intensive we are shifting from the Greeks to the Romans now, mid-term papers are being handed in for grading today, and next week my critical theory survey begins in the mornings in the City. Rather daunting. This week is given over to the Cicero boys, both brothers, Marcus and Quintus. De Oratore's idealistic attic turn is flanked today and Thursday by the scrum of politics on the ground -- invectives against Verres and Cataline, and then hard-boiled advice about how an outsider in insular plutocratic Rome might nonetheless be elected consul.

No comments: