Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Effacebook

I've deleted my Facebook account. I've never really immersed myself in the thing at any depth, finding it rather insipid and too Geocities-like overall, though I have been re-acquainted with some friends from high school and from my activist Atlanta days and maintained a tenuous connection with some of my students through it. Still, the panoptics and hacks and marketing penumbra made it all far more trouble than it's worth from my point of view. I don't expect to miss it.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I heartily support you on this decision! I was also of the same mind concerning your post about why you wouldn't get twitter. While I understand that not everyone has enough to say about themselves or about life to write consistent blog posts, it still seems shameful to see otherwise very intelligent people wasting their time writing banalities that never progress further than a paragraph in length.