Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Monday, January 18, 2010

Teaching Resumes

Spring term begins tomorrow, and it's going to be another long hard slog, I fear. At Berkeley I'm teaching two upper division seminars, one "Homo Economicus" reads the canon of mannered stage comedies in mostly the 17th and 20th centuries as documents of the shifting urban institutional terrain and urbane psychic terrain of modern-capitalist political economy and the second "Altars and Alters to the Market" an itinerary through polemical Movement Republican and various democratic-progressive polemical texts from the New Deal to the present. At the San Francisco Art Institute, I'm teaching another variation on my "Green Theories, Green Practices, Green Identities" course and also shepherding the present cohort of MA students to the finish line for their Theses and Symposium presentations. Every single one of these courses is enormously rewarding on its own terms, but I'll admit that taken together the attentional work load is pretty overwhelming. Tuesdays will definitely be my craziest day -- I have to be out the door by seven to get the train to the City and then the bus to campus on time for a three hour seminar, and then I've got a few hours to bus to BART my way to UC Berkeley, grab a bite, preside over office hours and then teach two one and a half hour seminars back to back, ending at seven pm, which gets me home with Burritos from the Rockridge taqueria Cactus by eight o'clock in time to crash in front of the tee vee. I've got three hour blocks of teaching on Wednesdays and Thursdays, too, but I'll be able to sleep to a reasonable hour and still have a reasonable amount of time for reading and class prep, so that shouldn't be so bad. We'll see.

No comments: