Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Friday, September 19, 2008

I've Got a Bad Feeling About This…

In a column published today in the Washington Post and titled, rather portentiously, "High Turnout, New Procedures May Mean an Election Day Mess" Mary Pat Flaherty writes:
Faced with a surge in voter registrations leading up to Nov. 4, election officials across the country are bracing for long lines, equipment failures and confusion over polling procedures that could cost thousands the chance to cast a ballot.

American Democracy is on the move!

4 comments:

Robin said...

This is actually an enormous concern of mine (personally) this year. In Oregon, ALL votes are done by mail, so I haven't had to go to a polling place and actually vote this way for a very long time. I'm extremely worried about things going smoothly and losing what very little (and very valuable) free time I have to standing around while the system breaks down before my eyes.

Cross your fingers for me and Wisconsin.

Dale Carrico said...

I'm crossing my fingers for us all. On a completely different note, I think the crossing of fingers should be made the official posture of penitence and prayer for those of us who worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Robin said...

I would fully support changing the American flag - remove the stars, and just put some crossed fingers on there.

Anne Corwin said...

I signed up as a permanent absentee voter a few years ago so I could always vote by mail, and I have been tremendously happy with that decision. I wasn't aware that there were areas where people *couldn't* do that...guess you learn something new every day.