Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cruella Palin



Honestly, what is it with these Republican Cheney and Palin types and their fierce love of staged mass-killing scenes from a height or in a pen? How do these death-cult crazies fool average everyday hunters that they speak for them? My Dad used to hunt rabbits and fish for sheepshead bass when I was growing up. I'm an ethical vegetarian and don't "approve" of it, but that's not a choice I think should be imposed as a law, particularly. Whatever his shortcomings, my Dad was never a cruel person and I've tried to think of the politics of gun-ownership and hunting through the lens of what I know about him. But this brutal business of staged hunts and mass-sniping of exposed wolves in the snow from a helicopter seems fairly surreal to me -- rather like stories of pointless mass-slaughters for "fun" of bison herds from train windows bound for the West years ago I remember reading about as a kid. An altogether different and truly scary order of psychology seems to be playing out here. Maybe it's all just too alien to my experience for me to grasp what is going on with these people. I have to admit it sickens and actually rather scares me.

No comments: