Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Student Suspended for Filming Teacher's Violent Reaction to National Anthem Protest

[via NYCindymedia]
A high school teacher in Brick, NJ pulled a chair from under a student after the student refused to stand for the national anthem. The school suspended one student for filming the incident, but has yet to punish the teacher.

Well, that's nice!


Robin Zebrowski said...

My hometown. I attended one of the 2 Bricktown public highschools (the other one) for 1 year, before OPTING to go to a Catholic school for the remaining 3 years.

They didn't appreciate it when I refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegience, citing "under God" as unconstitutional, back in 1989. Thankfully, a big scary punk rock friend who had preceded me by 3 years had done all the ACLU work and I was mostly left alone.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for exposing this teacher as a loose cannon wingnut! He certainly should be taught a lesson about tollerance. Hopefully he will be repremanded for his actions. I believe that the student who refused to stand was exercising his rights as an American. That's what makes this a great country. My hat is off to you. Sincerely, E.A.